Food & Cuisine
Our Food and Wine
We set very high standards for our cuisine, and train our staff extensively before the season starts, to ensure that you will thoroughly enjoy every meal on your holiday with us. We also take our Health and Safety responsibilities extremely seriously, so all our chalet and Chalet Hotel staff involved in food preparation are trained to the City & Guilds qualification – Level 2 in Food Safety during the pre-season training course. For six days of the week our staff prepare all your meals, as described below.
A good breakfast is essential on a ski holiday, so we provide both a cooked breakfast including your choice of bacon, eggs, sausages and beans, as well as a continental selection with a choice of cereals or porridge, fruit juices, plentiful tea, coffee and bread (and croissants in France), cold meats, cheese and preserves, which is normally presented buffet-style for you to help yourself. On our staff’s one day off a week, only the continental breakfast will be provided.
Our Chalet Hotels can also prepare a packed lunch for you on request, at a small local charge. For skiers keen to keep their Euro-spending to an absolute minimum, this is the ideal way to keep your costs down!
The traditional ‘welcome home’ after a day on the slopes will be laid out for you in your chalet or Chalet Hotel, ready for your return, every day except on the staff’s one day off per week. A good cup of tea or coffee is the perfect accompaniment to a delicious slice of freshly home-baked cake and keeps hungry skiers happy until dinner is ready. As an added benefit for guests in our Chalet Hotels, our chefs prepare a selection of cakes for afternoon tea.
Children’s High Tea
In Chalets and Chalet Hotels with family guests, High Tea provides children under 13 years with a healthy menu, tailored more towards children’s tastes and puréed food is available for infants on request. High Tea is at 5.30pm, and children do not join the main adult-only dinner.
Children’s High Tea in Chalet Hotels
Families staying in one of our Chalet Hotels may choose to eat separately (High Tea at 5:30pm) or all dine together at the later adult dinner time if children who have received a child discount pay the meal upgrade charge of £39 at the time of booking only.
Vegetarian and Special Diets
Vegetarian options are always on our ‘Culinary Choice’ menu in our Chalet Hotels, and are available in our chalets if you advise us in advance but there is a £25 short notice fee payable if you book or advise us within 14 days of departure. Other special diets can generally be catered for at a cost of £35 per person per week. Any dietary requirements must be advised to us at the time of booking in order for us to be fully prepared and see paragraph 15(c) of the booking conditions for important details.
Christmas and New Year
All of our chalets and Chalet Hotels will serve a traditional Christmas dinner with a glass of Champagne to start off the evening. This will include roast turkey with all of the trimmings, Christmas pudding, mince pies, crackers and party hats plus a fantastic Alpine atmosphere in which to enjoy the day.
A special festive menu will also be served on New Year’s Eve, alongside the added bonus that many resorts put on fantastic firework displays. A glass of fizz, whilst watching fireworks over the snow-capped peaks of the Alps.. what better way to bring in the New Year!
View our Christmas and New Year page here to learn about all the benefits of skiing at this magical time of the year.
View our Christmas and New Year Ski holidays here.
Our Quality Wines
We are very proud of our wine selection for Ski Total chalets and Chalet Hotels, which combines crisp and fruity whites with medium to full bodied reds, for a variety of palates. In our Chalet Hotels we also offer an additional light fresh rosé to our guests’ choice. We select our wines in conjunction with our good friends Nicolas and Véronique – the third generation in the Perret family’s fine wine business based in the Savoie. Nicolas is a qualified wine expert, having trained at the prestigious Burgundy Wine University in Beaune. Each season in October, Nicolas & Véronique bring over a new selection for us to sample (someone has to do it!) and together we choose our wines for the coming season, based on our menus and their pure enjoyment factor. Wine is an incredibly subjective and emotive subject, however the feedback we have received from our guests over recent seasons endorses our aims of providing wines to enhance your meal and to suit most tastes. We hope you will enjoy them as much as we do!
Your Choice of Complimentary Quality Wines with Dinner
We are delighted to continue to offer a wide variety of wine for you to enjoy with your dinner. Whilst we are continually searching out for the best wines, the below is our current selection for the upcoming season:
- Vin de France Sauvignon A light, fresh white wine with hints of grapefruit and lime. Best enjoyed as an aperitif and with seafood, salads and fish.
- Vin de France Chardonnay A more complex, rounded white wine with floral and nutty aromas, ideal with white meats, fish and cheese.
- Chardonnay (Italy Only) A dry, pale white from the Piemonte region of Northern Italy, offering crisp, citric tones and clean fruit flavours with an attractive, almond-like bitter note in the finish
- Piemonte Cortese (Italy Only) Cultivated in the Monferatto hills of Piemonte this crisp and fresh white wine has fruity aromas and is perfect with grilled meats, salads and fish dishes.
- IGP OC Merlot Made entirely from Merlot grapes, this smooth, easy drinking, ruby-red wine has full-bodied flavours of cherry and blackcurrant.
- IGP Cevennes Grenache-Cabernet Predominantly from Grenache vines, this colourful light-bodied red has lovely fruity aromas, and a slightly tannic finish.
- Vin De France Shiraz (Limited Availability) A rich and complex red with distinct flavours of red fruits and blackcurrants with a spicy finish. Ideal with red meats, game and cheese.
- Piemonte Barbera (Italy Only) Barbera is a classic Piemonte red, characterised by its lively medium body and sweet cherry flavour.
- Dolcetto (Italy Only) A good all round red wine from Piemonte, ruby red in colour and low in tannins. It complements all red meat dishes.
Rose (Chalet Hotels only)
- IGP des Cevennes Grenache-Cinsault A combination of Grenache and Cinsault grapes this wine is rose petal in colour with a crisp fruitiness that is well- balanced and smooth.
- Vino Rosato (Italy Only) Strawberry pink in colour, this light and crisp rose is aromatic with fresh berry and citrus fruit characters, balanced by tangy acidity.
What our Guests say….
The aperitifs and canapés were a great treat and we were very impressed with all the food – very tasty, plenty of it and always served hot and on time. We were looked after from start to finish. Elliott Party